Home Latest Travelogue Photo Gallery About me Links


Portland/Seattle 3 - 13 May 2006

(See map/travel plan)
4 May Thu

I saw the Chinese Garden and Powell's bookstore downtown. Then I saw the Japanese Garden in Forest Park. In the afternoon, I drove out to Multnomah falls, where I hiked to the top of the 600+ foot waterfall and beyond. It was a very scenic (but tiring) uphill hike.    

View of Portland and Mt. Hood from the Japanese Garden    

The Japanese Garden    

Multnomah Falls (east of Portland)    

Waterfall and me    

View of Mt. Hood    

5 May Fri

I drove to the Johnston Ridge Observatory where I saw Mt. St. Helens up close and personal. Then I heard a talk from a geologist regarding recent volcanic activity and saw a short film about the May 18, 1980 eruption. Later that evening, I eventually found my way to Seattle, where it was sunny and warm.    

View of Mt. St. Helens from the Johnston Ridge Observatory - just six miles away from the 'peak'

6 May Sat

The ISMRM conference began on a cool, cloudy Saturday. I spent the whole day at the conference, then ventured to Pioneer Square for dinner and 'entertainment' at a bookstore.

7 May Sun

I went to the conference from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm, then went to the reception from 6 to 7 pm, then headed to the Benaroya Hall for the GE talk and dinner from 7:30 to 9 pm, then went to the Century Ballroom, where I went swing dancing until midnight. Quite a full day.

8 May Mon

Somehow, I woke up around 6am, and made it to the conference center by 8 am. I attended talks from 8:30 am until 6:00 pm. Then I headed to the Pike Place Pub for the Siemens dinner. The staff kicked us out at midnight. I think they ran out of beer.

9 May Tue

I slept in today. Too many parties all in a row. I got up around 8 am, and walked to the Pike Place Market, where I had a crumpet at the Crumpet Shop. Quite sweet and tasty. I also saw the guys throwing the fish around, but I don't think I arrived at the right time for a good show. I then went to the conference from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm, after which I went to the Bruker talk and dinner.    

The entrance to Seattle's famed Pike Place Market    

A statue of a pig standing in front of a fish stand    

A view of Puget Sound    

Apparently, the beavers in Seattle are large and like the taste of concrete    

10 May Wed

This day started with a bit of drama. A little after 3 am, the hotel's fire alarm went off and stayed on (if that makes sense). So, my roommate, Vinai, and I got dressed and headed to the emergency exit stairwell. That's when I remembered that we were on the 25th floor, so we would have to descend 25 flights of stairs. Firetrucks were parked outside, and soon even a news van arrived. A few of us waited in the lobby of a nearby hotel, until we saw that they were letting people back in around 4:30 am. Not a good night for sleep.

During the rest of the day, I attended the conference, and had a seafood dinner at Cutter's with a few of the Puget Sound and homeless people in the nearby park. Following this, I met up with a unknown group of conference attendees who wanted to go swing dancing at the Century Ballroom. Although not as packed as Sunday night, it was a good night of dancing.

11 May Thu

Although, I didn't get rudely awoken by any fire alarms, I only slept about 5 1/2 hours the previous on account of late night dancing and early morning conference talks. Needless to say, I was a bit sleepy during some of the talks. In the evening, I attended the reception at the Music Experience Project and Science Fiction Museum, both under the shadow of the Seattle Space Needle.    

The entrance to the Washington State Convention and Trade Center on Pike St.    

Looking down Union St. from the Convention Center    

View of Seattle rush hour from hotel room    

Looking toward Puget Sound from hotel room

12 May Fri

On my last full day in Seattle, I acted like a good scientist and attended the morning lectures at the conference (although most attendees usually don't). Then, I hung out with Vinai and some people from the NIH. We had a long lunch at The Cheesecake Factory, stopped at mall on Pine St., then took a late ferry ride to Bainbridge Island. We arrived after 5pm, so everything was closed. Afterwards, we had a seafood dinner at Ibar's with a view of the water. I probably would have gotten more done if I had traveled by myself, but it's good to socialize every now and then. That night, I went to a swing dance at the University of Washington, which featured a live band and a choreagraphed routine with six couple doing crazy aerials. That was a great way to end my trip.    

View of downtown Seattle from the ferry    

Seattle skyline from the Space Needle in the north to downtown in the south    

Sunset on my trip to Seattle

Made with Nvu

Site created 1 May 2004
Page last updated 7 Feb 2009
Email dave at backpackingdave.com